Wednesday, April 1, 2009

D Stuff

Pretty successful week. In sounding out letters in our books, Talmage confused the lowercase B and D. How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon? was a fantastic D book.

Activities

Five Little Ducks. There are a lot of versions of this song and I think mine is the most funny. I was excited for this activity because I remember learning this song in preschool circa 1984. I also was excited to bring back the circa 1984 (and earlier) flannel board.

Our activity that day involved us making a flannel board. I bought a piece of flannel from the cloth store (light blue, of course) and hot glued it (only on the back because the glue makes the material pucker) to a piece of foam core. I assume plywood or cardboard would work just as well. I then glued manilla folders on the back so that I can store our flannel board projects for the future.

I printed out a mom and dad duck from this template and five baby ducks from this template on different colors of paper. I then faux laminated them with contact paper and glued sand paper on the back.

I was excited about this because I knew my mother-in-law would be disappointed if I wasn't integrating math concepts into this project. Tal's pretty good at one-to-one number connections and addition, but he has a harder time with subtraction. This was a fantastic and easy way to do that.

I feel obligated to explain that the sweater was pooching funny. I did just have a baby 7 weeks ago, but my belly isn't THAT big.



Dalmatians.



We painted a brown paper sack white. I'm sure this would be easier with a white paper bag, but I couldn't find those at the store. Anyway, Tal appreciated having paint as part of the project. Glued black spots and ears, plus googly eyes and a poof ball nose. Classic red tongue under the flap.

Dinosaur (Pipecleanosaurus).



I actually read about how to do these a year ago, and when we did the activity, I went from memory. When I looked online for the directions so I could attach them here, I realized that I had forgotten a couple steps.

D treasure hunt. Dad, doorbell, door, dishwasher, dirt, Daddy's car, doctor's kit. The treasure was Dots.

No comments:

Post a Comment