Sunday, May 9, 2010

SK or SC Stuff

The Scaredy Squirrel books by Melanie Watt are great SC books!

Activities

Scales

When I do this with Asher, I plan to coordinate my books a little better with the activity for the day, finding a book that has the same topic as the project. Look for that circa 2012. When I finally get around to that, I'm definitely going to read The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister with this project.



The book is about a fish with beautiful scales, many of them shiny, who learns that the most beautiful thing is sharing with others and ends up giving his beautiful scales away. Good message and plenty of SCs to sound out.

We made this scaly fish.



It was pretty simple. I improvised a white fish and glued him on a blue piece of paper. Then I cut out several different colors of scales from tissue paper and included a couple from foil. Tal got to glue the scales on.

Scarecrow

The Wizard of Oz series is pretty big at our house these days; Grandpa is reading the books nightly to Talmage. They are currently reading Ozma of Oz. So when I suggested we make a scarecrow, Tal was certainly excited.



I improvised a shirt, pants, head, and a hat. Tal glued the pieces on a black piece of paper and added the details. We then took some dead grass from my most recent weeding excursion and glued it on.

Sky

This was a fun idea that ended up looking totally different than what I anticipated. I put some blue water color paint in an empty spray bottle. I have some nice paints in tubes, so I just squeezed out a bit into the bottle, but I bet if you could break a chunk off a Crayola set it would work just fine. I then added a cup or so of water and shook it until it mixed together. Talmage and I painted horizons along the bottom of our papers (I did use watercolor paper for this one so it would absorb the paint well). We then took our pictures outside and sprayed on a blue sky. I sprayed minimally and got a rainy sky.



Tal didn't want a rainy sky, so he sprayed a lot.



I have to admit; Tal's picture turned out awesome.

Treasure hunt. scale, scarfs, skirt, skin. The treasure was Skittles.

No comments:

Post a Comment