Sunday, May 9, 2010

FL Stuff

There weren't any books that really stuck out for me, but I did discover that books with "flower" in the title are pretty girly.

Activities

Egg Carton Flowers



I cut apart a cardboard (Cardboard? Non-styrofoam, at least) egg carton into it's individual egg cells. Tal then painted each of the cut apart carton pieces in bright colors. We then cut about 2" squares from various pieces of tissue paper. After the cartons were dry (with the help of a blow-dryer) we pushed the tissue into the carton cavity and held the whole thing in place using a pipe cleaner through the center. I bunched up the pipe cleaner at the top so it didn't slide through the flower.


Plastic Stain Flowers


We made suncatchers (imitation stained glass with plastic frames and glass stain). Here is a website that sells something like what we did.



Flag

Like I've mentioned before, I didn't plan on continuing this project once I finished the alphabet, so there are many projects that I did back in F week, for example, that really should have been FL projects. I'll fix this all in two years when I do it with Asher, but in the meantime I'm just going to repeat some things. It was fun to see Tal's progress, however.

Here is Project Flag 2009:



Note the random number of stripes and haphazard arrangement of stars.

Here is Project Flag 2010:



This time we looked at pictures of flags online and Tal was very specific that we needed 13 stripes and 50 stars arranged geometrically. This led us into a discussion of what the stars and stripes mean, which led us into a discussion of what states are, so I printed of this map and we found all the states where his cousins live.



Treasure hunt: flower, flour, flag. The treasure was Flipz (yogurt covered pretzels).

No comments:

Post a Comment