Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I Stuff

We checked out Hank Finds Inspiration by Craig Frazier for H Stuff last week. Because we hadn't been to the library yet, it served double duty. It was an okay H book but a phenomenal I book!

Other great I books? I Wanna Iguana by Karen Kaufman Orloff, Why Mosquitos Buzz in People's Ears by Verna Aardman, Imogene's Antlers by David Small, and Isabelle and the Angel by Thierry Magnier. What a great week for books!

Activities

What's that? A wedding cake? A volcano? A teepee? A tower? A beehive? A tholos tomb? No, it's an Igloo.



Compare the above picture with the one on the Family Fun website:



Then read Family Fun's instructions here and let me know what I lost in translation.

Iguana.



Here are the instructions. Our craft store didn't have all the necessary Woodsies, so we simplified and improvised. Talmage thought plain old green was a little boring, so he added several purple iguana tattoos.

Insects. (I cheated and did butterflies).



I originally saw this idea on TV for coffee filter butterflies, but I did the activity before I could go to the store and buy coffee filters, so I improvised. I think they turned out pretty cute.

We talked about what insects are and identified ants, mosquitos, bugs, and butterflies as insects. (I'm pretty sure a bug in his head is a fly.) Then we took a sheet of paper and painted it with watercolors. I dripped water on mine and sprinkled it with salt. We then accordion folded the paper and fastened a pipe cleaner around the middle. After we fanned out the "wings." We made a paper plate mobile out of the butterflies and hung it up in Tal's room.

Instrument.



Pretty simple. I saw this at the craft store when I was buying things for the iguana. It cost about two dollars. We painted it.

Treasure hunt. inside, igloo, iguana, infant, itchy. The treasure was Mike and Ike's. I know, it doesn't start with a short I sound; I'll take suggestions for alternatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment