Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Whys and Wherefores

Talmage has given up his afternoon nap.

I could probably end there, but if you want the specifics, I've always believed that active mothering leads to healthy children and happy mothers. I've fulfilled this in the past by going places with Talmage: the zoo, the Children's Museum, the Planetarium, the park etc. But now Asher is here which makes our at home time less efficient, and the aforementioned lack of a nap, which means more time to fill in the day. When I stay home I'm tempted to try and clean the house or work on the courses I teach, which means Talmage has to play on the computer or watch TV--both projects that will turn his brain to mush. Neither do they accomplish their intended purpose--to allow me to do something else productive--because he gets tired and then nags me to play then I nag him to leave me alone. Unhealthy children and unhappy mothers.

Hence, the birth of ABC Stuff. I had admired other friends' ambitious mothering for the good of their children. I started ambitious mothering for the good of me. But I think Talmage has fun, too.

Maybe I should post a sign on my front door that reads "Warning: Messy House. But Look For My Immaculately Kept Blog ABC Stuff."

No comments:

Post a Comment