Sunday, May 9, 2010

PR Stuff

The Prince Won't Go To Bed by Dayle Ann Dodds was probably our favorite book of the week.

Activities

Frog Prince



I found the idea for this little guy here. I printed off this sheet on both green and yellow cardstock. The site recommended craft foam, which I'm sure would have been cuter, but I didn't have any and cardstock worked well. Tal and I went rock hunting, and after we found an appropriately sized rock, I painted it green and glued on googly eyes. We glued the rock onto his legs and added the yellow crown. Tal felt he needed nostrils and a smile.

Handprint Butterfly

Print seemed a good PR word and we did a really fun activity with handprints during H week but I didn't want to repeat it. So we came up with a handprint butterfly.



I let Tal pick three colors and we brushed the tempera paint on his hands. We positioned the prints facing outward. After it dried (again, with the help of a blowdryer) I drew a butterfly body with a black Sharpie. Talmage added the butterfly smile.

Praying Mantis

Tal loves origami, and I'm always trying to think of ways to insert more math into this project, so I got ambitious and thought we'd make this folded praying mantis. I got through 5 of 100 steps. Once it started talking about waterbomb bases I got lost.

So instead we started to make this guy.



Now I admit that at this point we had already spent a good half-hour on the other praying mantis, so I didn't finish putting him together. So follow the instructions listed here. (You'll have to scroll down a bit.)

Treasure hunt: prince, princess, present, praying mantis. The treasure was chocolate covered pretzels.

No comments:

Post a Comment