Monday, July 6, 2009

Q Stuff

For books, we searched the catalog for quilt, quail, and quiet. We didn't find any we LOVED, but Quiet Bunny by Lisa McCue wasn't bad. When we looked for letters, I pointed out that Q is always followed by U and together they make the kwa sound.

Activities.

Quilt.



We talked about how quilts are like a puzzle and they are made up of little pieces that fit together to make a blanket. I showed him the gorgeous quilt Gail made for Tyler and me when we got married. Then we made our own paper quilt with pieces from this template and this template.

Quail.



I looked at several pictures of quail and improvised a paper bag puppet. The essentials were the black feather on the head and wings. Talmage painted the bags brown and I added the details. And, of course, googly eyes.

Simpler puppets work better for Tal, but with Q, I didn't have many options.

Question Game. Tyler would like credit for this idea.



I created these templates.

The back of the cards:



Front with one set of animals:



Front with second set of animals:



Then I printed the images on yellow paper, cut them out, and laminated them.

We then played a game where one person puts a card on their forehead, animal side out, and then they have to ask questions to find out what kind of animal they are.

It was a big hit.

Treasure hunt. queen, quilt, quail, question game, quarter. The treat was Hershey's Kisses. I know. It doesn't start with a Q. An internet search gave me Quench Gum and I thought of finding the mystery flavor Dum Dums with question marks on the wrapper, but I ran out of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment