Tuesday, May 26, 2009

L Stuff

Great week for books! This is because we discovered Little Pea and Little Hoot by Amy Krouse Rosenthal. New favorites. I think I might frame some of Jen Corace's illustrations from Little Hoot to hang in Talmage's room.



Looking For a Moose by Phyllis Root was also a winner. Plenty of Ls with long-leggy moose.

Activities

Cyanotype Leaf Prints



My very favorite activity yet. Cyanotype prints are a basic photograph printing process that uses a photo-sensitive solution on paper that when exposed to light turns blue. Any area that is covered when exposed stays white.

We talked a little bit about leaves--that they are green, that most things growing outside have them, and that that's how a plant eats--and then gathered leaves in our yard. Inside we compared the shape and size of the leaves. Then we made prints from the leaves.

The Internet explained to me that it wasn't hard to make my own paper. What was even easier, though, was ordering some inexpensive paper from this website.

Since I'm painting my room blue to callously cover up Stockton's masterpiece, I think I might display some of these prints.

Lion Puppet.



Okay, Tyler pointed out that my creativity is waning when I make an animal puppet weekly. But I did add my own flair to the instructions for this lion.

I printed off a face from this template (in white, blue, and orange) and arms from this template (in orange) and glued them to a brown paper bag.

Rather than use this template for a mane, we cut strips of paper from red, yellow, and orange paper and curled them by rolling them around a pencil. we then attached them around the face part.

Voila! I thought they kind of looked like The Cowardly Lion after he gets gussied up in the Emerald City.

Ladybugs. I was so excited to see ladybugs for sale at the garden center in my local grocery store, and I had big plans to release them in my garden at this point and examine real live ladybugs. But the store was out. Don't worry, the kind lady assured me, they'll be in next week. I'm not sure she understood me when I whined, "But next week is M week."

So instead, we made these guys:



We found rocks outside and painted them red. When the red paint dried (with the aid of a blow dryer) we painted a black head and black spots. Talmage felt it important they have googly eyes. We affixed the eyes with super glue that was kicking around our house from when we superglued Talmage's head together.

Treasure Hunt. library books, lemon, lamp, lawnmower, leaf, laundry. The treasure was lifesavers.

No comments:

Post a Comment