Thursday, March 25, 2010

CR Stuff

Old Cricket by Lisa Wheeler was the best CR book ever. Old Cricket is cranky and crotchety and suffers from creaks, cricks, and cracks; and that's all before he meets Old Crow.

Activities

Crawling race.

We had Tal's friend Luke over and we did a variety of races in the front yard, beginning with crawling. We also jumped, hopped, walked, tip-toed, and, of course, ran.

Crown



I cut out a long strip of thin cardboard (a cereal box worked well) and measured it to fit around Tal's head. 2 or 3 inches wide. Then I cut yellow paper the same length as the cardboard but about an inch wider. I glued the yellow paper to the cardboard, lining up the bottom edges. This gave me room to cut the points. Tal decorated the paper side (not the cardboard side) with all sorts of craft bling. Finally we made a ring and stapled it.

Note that Tal added his jewels in a very mathematical and ordered way. We also glued cotton balls on the bottom to give it a furry crown look.

Crocodile



I found the instructions for this guy here. I'm going to pull their images to explain this because it was a bit complicated. Or you could just go to their website where the craft is very clearly explained.

With scissors, I cut two 16.9 oz soda bottles in half and then trimmed one of the bottom pieces to about 3 inches.



Then I cut about three slits up the bottom of the longer bottom piece so that I could fit it over the other and used packing tape to fix them in place. After I slit the top pieces so they too could fit over the ends and fixed them in place with packing tape.

Finally, I hot glued four bottle caps to the bottom for legs, and two to the top for eyes.



Then came the fun part. I mixed 2 Tbs Elmer's glue with 2 Tbs water. Working in chunks, I spread the mixture over the surface of the crocodile, and affixed 1" squares of green tissue paper. Once the glue was covered by tissue paper, I then spread another layer of glue over the paper. I repeated this until the entire surface was covered and I liked the thickness of the tissue paper skin.

After the glue dried, we added details. Googly eyes for the eyes, points down his back, and feet for his legs. Voila! Craft crocodile.

We sang a whole long of "Never Smile at a Crocodile" during the making of this project.

Treasure hunt. crayons, craft box, crown, cricket, crocodile. The treasure was a Nestle's Crunch bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment