Wednesday, January 13, 2010

SH Stuff

Well, ABC Stuff can't just end. And besides, now that we're kind of reading, I've found that there are a whole bunch of sounds we need to learn outside of the ABCs, not to mention vowel combinations. So this week is SH week. SHHHHHHHHHHH.

Our letter sound activity has changed a bit. Now we make the sound of all the featured letter combinations in the book, and we also read one word per page.

Nancy Shaw's sheep books, particularly Sheep in a Shop and Sheep on a Ship were great Sh books. But Talmage's and my favorite was She'll Be Coming 'Round the Mountain by Jonathan Emmett.

Activities

Shirt. I was excited about this for weeks in advance. I bought a T shirt from Michaels for about $3.00 and these iron-on letters. My vision was just to write Talmage, but Tal recently learned his full name. Anyone see any problem with having your sons full name plastered on his T-shirt as we go about the town? And then what if I posted a picture of that shirt on the World Wide Web?



Shrinky-Dinks. Did you have any idea that this craft sensation, popular in the early 80s, still existed? I didn't, but now that I know, I'm ECSTATIC. Santa slipped some robot shrinky-dinks in Talmage's stocking, so I did a little research and found the blank shrinky-dink paper at Michaels. Hooray!



Follow the instructions included with the paper.

Sheep This project was inspired by a sheep I made in Mrs. Bush's first grade class. The idea stuck with me 23 years.



I cut out several different shapes: large cloud shape for the body and small cloud shape for hair out of white paper; medium size oval for the head and four rectangles for legs out of black paper. Tal then glued cotton balls on the white pieces, and I assembled the sheep as shown.

I suggested we add an eye (you know, a sheep in profile). Tal laughed and said sheep have two eyes. Very conceptual of him.

Shell Box (or CD or magnet; anything you want to cover) Hee, hee! People who specialize in seashell decor are funny. One person recommended adding shells to "ratchet up the beauty" in your house.



I used a spare box I had saved and covered one (short) end with Elmer's glue. Tal squeezed a bunch of glue and I used a paintbrush to spread it so the entire end was covered with a thin layer. Tal then chose seashells (that I purchased at Michael's) and we hot-glued them to the box. After he finished with the shells he chose, we poured sand over the end that sticked to the Elmer's glue layer.

The beauty in my house is FOR SURE ratcheted up.

Shapes

.

Simple enough. Playdough. Made shapes. We talked about how many sides a triangle has versus a square and a circle. We talked about the difference between a square and a rectangle.

Treasure hunt: shampoo, shirt, shoes, shorts, shower. I couldn't find a treat that started with sh, so I used a Hershey's chocolate bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment